Friday, March 2, 2007

NYC: nigger

1. Racial slur banned in New York: [t]he city council of New York has voted to ban the use of the word "nigger".
2. Should racist word be rehabilitated?

Also interesting: a wikipedia list on the emphases of profanity in various languages.


Personally, I think this law is unenforcable and sets a bad precedent1, even though I'm white and would personally never use the word "nigger" out-of-quotation-marks, so to speak.

I also think it's cute that the first article includes a picture of Chris Rock.

1If individual words are suspect, what stops one from arguing that freedom of speech only pertains to political expression? "Freedom of speech doesn't include the right to shout 'fire' in a crowded room," but it should certainly permit words. If one wishes to offend, there is a sufficient reserve of vocabulary to offend in an equivalent manner. The violation shouldn't be the use, nor necessarily the meaning, but the broad consequence of one's utterances, all things considered.


...

There's a different group to get pissed off at you in this country for everything your not supposed to say. Can't say Nigger, Boogie, Jig, Jigaboo, Skinhead, Moolimoolinyon, Schvatzit, Junglebunny, Greaser, Greaseball, Dago, Guinea, Whop, Ginzo, Kike, Zebe, Heed, Yid, Mocky, Himie, Mick, Donkey, Turkey, Limey, Frog. Zip, Zipperhead, Squarehead, Crout, Hiney, Jerry, Hun, Slope, Slopehead, Chink, Gook. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. They're only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent.

I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "nigger." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "nigger" in and of itself. It's the racist asshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know they're not racist. They're niggers! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, mother-fucker myself. Don't bother my ass. They're only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country."

—George Carlin

1 comment:

Kyra said...

I think it's funny that this is the first post I ever read on your blogger. :)

But you're right, and George Carlin is right. They're just words. Yes, the word nigger does make me uncomfortable if I hear it too much, even when black people use it. But the people who have said it in front of me aren't racist, and I hope to never have to deal with anyone that is that racist.

But really nowadays black people use it in more of a derogatory manner than other people. According to Chris Rock, there are "black people", and then there are "niggers". I think you can guess what he means by that. And in some ways I agree with him, but I don't want to turn into a racist myself. :)

Post a Comment