Monday, January 8, 2007

Journal Entry: Baya-baya-ba

I was trying to finish a poem (#15) while listening to "Katamaritaino" from the Katamari Damacy soundtrack (which to my delight is now my wake-up ring on my phone--the music from Star Light zone in Sonic is my ringtone), and right now I'm thinking that this song is what "art" should be... this is poetry. No squabbling over trite discontentments or grandeur, just what is needed to evoke a feeling of humble, optimistic satisfaction.

Poetry can do much more than this, but this is what the world needs.

...

"Poetry" can elicit the whole spectrum of human emotions, but it need only elicit those that prevent one from growing sorrowful or complacent. It is a delicate act of balancing one's emotional composition in such a way that allows for one to move forward without forgetting what is ahead or growing fatigued.

...

Sorrowful beauty is profound but overused, yet the felicific need not reject sorrow--it need only recognize it as a malaise, like itself, that it marries in order to achieve a meaningful present and future.


**Katamaritaino, Hideki Tobeta/Yui Asaka**

No comments:

Post a Comment