Tuesday, May 16, 2006

One of the most racist things I've ever heard

Sadly, I would not be aware of this comment by FOX News' John Gibson if it were not for The Colbert Report, but nonetheless, it is without qualification, the most racist thing I have heard for a long while.

I quote:
"...half the kids under 5 years old in this country are minorities. By far, the greatest number are Hispanic. Know what that means? Twenty-five years and the majority population is Hispanic. To put it bluntly: We need more babies."
1. Similar Online Version: Procreation Not Recreation
2. All you need to know" about John Gibson

!!!!

What I love about this statement is that it implies that to have a majority of the population comprised of "minorities" is a threat (namely those "darned" Hispanics, many of whom don't speak American), and we, the Caucasian populous, need to do what we can to offset this--through both immigration control and procreation on the part of white people (perhaps even native or not).

While the legality and enforcement debates are more policy-oriented (in a sense that usually isn't racist), Gibson's argument seems indicative of the neo-conservative and radical right's conflicting views on unity and division. Although to imply that those two bodies are racist would be unwarranted for me to suggest.

This reminds me somewhat of Representative Steve King's "God and Country" Bill in the House. I've had a draft of a post on this for some time now, I'll publish it when I have the time research it more thoroughly (within a week or so).

No comments:

Post a Comment